I’m going to start recognizing blogs of the week and lines of the week (at least semi-regularly). While all of you are doing some amazing work, these two things stuck out to me this week. Congrats to our first stars of the week!
Jenna: Blog of the Week. The commentary on the WikiHow about writing haikus is hilarious. The reflection on the feeling all writers get at some point (“I wish I had written that poem”) is spot on. And the explanation of her own poem (and of her intentions for the poem) is a valuable exercise that I would recommend to everyone. Recognizing what you meant, what readers saw, and figuring out how to synthesize the two is an important part of this class.
LaRue: Line of the Week. In “What the Cosmos Left,” LaRue’s speaker discusses the stars she found in various places the way Howe’s speaker found scissors. This line captures a beautifully original moment (how many of us have found stars in our mouths?), using a wonderfully ordinary item (warm bread):
. . . and one night, in my mouth,
I tasted something like a warm bite of bread and pulled it out
to watch over me . . . .
Stay tuned for more highlights from the great body of work you’re all producing......

No comments:
Post a Comment